If you’re considering reconstruction, your breasts can be recreated immediately (along with the mastectomy operation), or anytime down the road, even years later. Having immediate reconstruction has cosmetic benefits, however, and you don’t face another series of surgical procedures later.
Mastectomy without breast reconstruction
Mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction
· They're unsure about reconstruction at the time of their mastectomy.
· They don't want to go through any more procedures than are necessary to
treat or prevent breast cancer.
· They want to try breast prostheses (or none at all) before committing to
· They have a health condition that adds to surgical risk and may impede
· Their doctor advises them to complete radiation or other treatment before
having breast reconstruction.